Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Kids and animals

So we have put a lid on the bird idea and now we are on to dogs or cats. I hate cats... When I look at them I see a moody animal armed with claws and sharp teeth. My aunt had a lot of cats growing up and they always jumped on me. This could be where my fear lies. In the same sense a cat makes a good pet. They potty train themselves, clean themselves and leave you alone - for the most part. I'm just not sure this is what we need to de-fear our children.

My kids have a terrible fear of animals. We were eating breakfast at a friends house last week and out comes their cat. Jack and Avery screamed and jumped into my arms, as if a tiger had just tried to claw out their eyes. Mason tried to be brave... but I could see fear in his eyes as he side-stepped to my leg. This is RIDICULOUS. Not only is it super embarrassing, but I feel like I have not done my job as a parent and exposed them to animals. Maybe its too late and I've already scarred them for life. I know a lot of their fear is my fault. I'm not an animal lover and tend to steer the stroller away from stray dogs. I arm myself with a walking stick to "beat the dogs" if they come near. Maybe the children have picked up on that. I'm fearful... but I'm not a maniac. I don't crawl up Allen's arm at the sight of a hampster.

When people are afraid of clowns, closed spaces, heights, animals... what do you do? Despite my lack of psychology degree, I think you should conquer your fear my meeting it head on. ON the a way home from our breakfast date last weekend we stopped at Pets Mart. The animal shelter was there with 6 dogs for adoption. AWESOME. A dog would be perfect. He would play with the kids and maybe even settle my urge for a fourth baby (wink,wink!). We fell in love with a small dog in the bottom cage. The kids were okay looking at the animal from behind the cage, until a big dog on a leash walked by. Ear piercing screaming began and the whole store was staring at us. The lady from the shelter told us that maybe we should visit a few more times before we take one home. She was probably right and I realized that my problem would not get solved overnight.

I'm hoping that bringing home a dog will quickly cure the fear in my children's minds. I know it will be hard and I know that the kids or the dog will be in their room/crate for the first few days. I anticipate a lot of tears. I'm also aware that this new family member will be a lot of work. Training, feeding, cleaning. This is where I want to throw in the towel. Do we have time to do all of this? My kids need this and I feel like in the end our sanity needs this. I don't want to raise children who are scared of things, especially my boys.

A dog will be in our future. It's exciting. It's right. It's scary..., but here we go!

3 comments:

Reuben South said...

When I grew up I had very little fear of our cat. It was four years older than me and it seemed four years smarter. I would try to pull its tail and it constantly punished this action. I never learned, despite the scratches, but I began thinking as I grew up a dog would make a much better companion. For years I had both a dog and a cat. The cat learned to tolerate the dog's playful nature and I was happy with two animals to keep me company. The funny thing is that I have very little fear of animals now, aside from anything venomous, and it is people that I have a very hard time with. I'm earning my Online Psychology Degree to try to cope with the issue. I couldn't imagine growing up without animals everywhere. I really hope that your children learn to love their unpredictable and affectionate nature.

Lesa said...

I wasn't a cat person until I lived with Clementine--and then I realized that I totally preferred cats to dogs because Clem would mostly leave me alone, didn't whine, etc. :) But I think I'll probably have a dog someday. It just surprised me that I liked living with a cat!

Kim said...

Yeah! I can't wait to see them fall in love with a dog. They may be scared but they'll love it. And so will you!