Monday, September 29, 2008

A spy in volunteer's clothes

Today was the first day of my volunteering career in the classroom. I plan on working at least 3 days a month in Mason's class. I want to make my face known amongst my kid's teachers so I can stay informed of what is happening. I'm also doing it to spy on Mason. Boys tend to not tell you everything that happens during their day. One word answers is usually how he tells me how his day goes. I'm very curious to know who he chooses for friends, how he acts in class and how the teacher handles her students.
The first thing I noticed was that Mason was super excited to see me in his classroom. He was all smiles the whole time I was there. Of course, I soaked all this attention up since I know that this may only last for a few more years.
I'm also quite sure that I'm not designed to be a kindergarten teacher. They are very needy and require a lot of attention. I was in charge of helping a center group make a leaf man. They are working on the letter L this week. I had to help a few kids hold a scissors and show them numerous times that the leaves were legs not arms. I can't imagine having to deal with all those students on a daily basis. His teacher must always be tired!
I also realized today how much Mason really does know compared to other kids his age. I'm proud to say that he is one of the few kids that can read. Again, the thought of homeschool crossed my mind. He is not challenged or learning anything new in his current school situation. I know that if I homeschooled him he would be learning new concepts daily. He loves to learn. I also know that he struggles in a few areas that I would be able to focus more time on then he coudl get with a classroom of other students.
One thing I realized as I was contemplating pulling him out of school was that he is in need of socialization. He is sort of the loner kid during recess. He sat with a few girls on the floor to eat his snack and then proceeded to ride the tricycle while talking to only a few people. When I asked him if he had any friends he said that he had lots of friends and that all the kids in his class where his friends. I felt responsible as tears came to my eyes watching my child play by himself. Did I not expose him to enough playdates? I'm fairly certain that since birth I have very successfully introduced him to many friends that he has enjoyed. I think that is the difference between toddler-hood friends and school-age friends. One is mom introduced and the other they pick themselves.
I realized once again that my first born has a very different personality then his mom. He is happy to play by himself and is not affected at the least that he has no "close" friends to share his secrets with. In his five year old mind anyone he meets is his friend and in reality that is how it should be. I know that at least for today our decision to keep him in public school will help him make friends..... a priceless resource.

3 comments:

Jeana Hurst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeana Hurst said...

Awe, Sarah, you are a good mama! Mason is as normal as they come. Brighter than the average, but very normal....I think it is so sweet the kid he is. I know you know this already, but you guys are doing a great job with him!

That is awesome you are planning to volunteer in his class...sooo important!

PS the comment that was deleted was from me....I spelled your name wrong (how does that happen? I have no clue, but I wanted to re-post my comment with an accurate spelling of your name!!!) Dork? Yes and that is what you love about me...LOL

Sarah said...

Sweet Sarah! You are indeed a wonderful mom. This is a topic I think often and long and hard about (and truthfully, probably agonize over way too much). I think that there is such a broad range of "normal" ... and you are very wise to recognize that Mason is Mason, and doing very well !! The fact that you even give so much thought to the matter speaks volumes to your care for him, and his little life will certainly reflect that care and love.