Thursday, October 23, 2008

A crazy few weeks.

I've been missing my blog land so much. Life has been very uneventful and every time I sit down to write a blog, something else seems more pressing.
The possessions in our life all seem to be breaking one by one. I have been wondering what God is trying to teach us. The door on the microwave has been falling off for the last several months. You have to pull it just right so that the whole door doesn't come off every time you open the door. Last week I stepped on the lever on the vacuum that makes the handle lay down and the whole lever broke and can't be put back together. Allen went to start the dishwasher on Sunday morning and it would not start. He took it all apart and attempted to fix it, but it just wouldn't start again. We have been washing all our dishes by hand and it is very much the pain. I realize now what a blessing a dishwasher is to have. Today I dropped Allen off at the DMV and then went to get us some Diet Coke refreshments. A sign caught my eye and I ran right in the back of a Honda Accord. Of course my American made car was fine - but the Honda's bumper was smashed to bits.
Seriously, God, what are you trying to teach me?

Allen getting his license back really made a great ending to this week! It is going to be so nice not driving him around and just to have someone else help with the extracurricular activities for the kids. All in all, this time has really taught me the importance of family. We lean on our family in hard times and this has been 7 months of hardship - for both Allen and myself. We had some great family memories in the car at 6:30 in the morning or packing up all the kids just to get on thing from the Lowe's down the street.

Allen's sister had a baby last week. She is our first niece. It is exciting to be so close to a situation and not be the one expierencing it. I have mixed emotions. Part of me is envious of her situation and remembers the eventful time with a newborn. And the other part of me is glad that stage of my life is over and I can sleep through the night and I have freedom to come and go as I please. I am excited to be an Auntie and spoil my niece (and any future siblings she may have) and then give her back to her parents!

Jackson has shown quite the imagination lately. Him and Avery were chasing lions down our hallway yesterday. He started to cry cause he was scared, so I gave him some lion dust that would make the lions disappear. It was so sweet to watch him run down the hall throwing his imaginary dust all over the place and telling the lions to go away.

Avery is becoming such the little lady. I looked at her tonight and saw no hint of baby left in her. Her little face and hands are all girl. Her body is stretching out and her baby pudge has disappeared. Her little attitude is becoming more and more apparent and I've had a glimpse of what it may be like when she is a teenager... scary thought!

As the possessions in my world are all breaking and causing me much grief - I need to remind myself what is really important. My family and the time that is slipping by each day. The kids are growing up. Who cares if the dishes never get done or the floors never get vacuumed, I'm going to watch my kids grow up! I'm blessed.

1 comment:

Jeana Hurst said...

Oh sweetie....I am so sorry about your accident today :-(. I think you probably have learned what God is teaching you...you are stopping and smelling the roses, enjoying your lion dust and all! I am not sure what God is trying to teach you, but sweetie, you are embracing it with grace like everything else!

Love ya!