Friday, August 22, 2008

Life in a minute

Yesterday Mason was eating a fruit snack and it got stuck in his throat. The aide had to do the Hemimlich on him to get it back up. He vomited, they sent him to the nurse and got Allen out of class. Allen texted message me to tell me.... Imagine getting a text message that reads "Mason chocked on a fruit snack. Ms. Sherri did the Hemimlich. He is fine." I totally freaked out.. and I guess now, I should not have... cause he was fine!

I asked Mason about his day and he never brought it up. The kid talked about the Letter M, the picture they colored and the story they read... but never about the incident. I finally asked him about it and then he told me in a nonchalant way... like to him it was no big deal. The only thing he did say with any emotion was, "I'm never eating Batman fruit snacks again." Kids just let things roll off there back, when mothers (maybe I should just speak for myself) get freaked out over things that are not necessary.

After receiving Allen's text, all I could think about is the "what ifs." What if someone was not there, what if they couldn't get it out.... I could make myself sick with how my mind works in situations like this. I thank God that is is okay and that non of the what ifs happened. I am again reminded that these kids are not my own and that God had their days numbered. I pray that those numbers surpass mine....

No comments: