Thursday, November 13, 2008

Poop or Mustard?

So today was another crazy day in my mom/worker life. I had a meeting that needed to be moved up. I told the mom that I would have my kids with me, so let's make it a quick meeting at Starbucks. It was about lunch time, so I drove through Wendys to get them some food and keep them busy for at least a little while. 
We snagged two tables outside so that the kids could have one table and I could have my meeting at the other. I set them up with their food, ketchup, drinks and then crayons, coloring books, and puzzles for when their food was done. It was a perfect set up. So I thought...
Jack starts screaming that he has to pee. I turn around to see some mustard liquid dripping off his chair. I gasp and jump up. The mom from my meeting was helping her son with some math problems, so I don't think she caught on right away - or if she did, she didn't add to my embarrassment. I grab the kid and run. I really didn't have a plan. I just knew to get him out of there. I yell for Mason and Avery to follow me. I head to the car. I clean what I can from his back, but to take off his pants and underwear, would have been a long process, so I just left him in it. (I know, Mom of the Year award goes to me, again!) 
I buckle him in his seat and hurry Mason and Avery into the car. I thought about leaving, but then remembered that my computer bag and lots of important information was still left in Starbucks. I notice an open parking space right next to our two tables... Thanks God... so I move the car to them. I tell Mason that he's in charge (he loves this) and I go and finish my meeting. Thankfully for the next 20 minutes Avery and Mason keep Jack busy enough that he doesn't remember about the poop in his underwear. 
After my meeting is over, I clean up what I can of the gross mustard mess off the chair and floor. I can't fully clean the liquid off the wicker chair, despite how hard I try and then put a note in the back of my brain to make sure I look where I sit from now on cause I can't be the only one this has happened to. I gather all our belongings and rush home to bath the child.
I sit and reflect about what happened a few hours ago and wonder if the mom and her boys realized what was happening. I wonder how I would feel in the same position. Totally grossed out, that is for sure. I hope for their sake, they thought it was just mustard from the burger leaking onto the floor! 

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I've never had a child do a public poop explosion, but I have had plenty of experience with poop desguised as mustard. Yuck!

I hope Jack feels better.

MAJGrammie said...

I can see you holding Jack out away from your body running to the van and yelling at Mason and Avery to follow...I'm laughing so hard right now! I know at the time it was not funny and I'm soooo sorry I'm laughing...but I can't get this mental pic out of my head! Poor Jack and if there ever was mother of the year...you would get it! love, ya!

Anonymous said...

SO sorry girl...been there...cubed. Thank you for opening my eyes to another OCD thing that will forever be deposited into my mind....I will always investigate public chairs in great detail before sitting in them..from this point forward!
Thank you!

Jeana Hurst said...

Ha Ha...I, just like your mom, have a mental picture of you running with Jack extended in your arms....LOL I would have done the same thing....man oh man. Nice. You balanced everything quite well under the circumstances....I hope you can laugh about the poop and with all things considered, it all turned out well!

Sarah said...

AHHHH hahaha! I'm still trying to picture how you didn't make an even bigger scene! I mean, the mom w/ you didn't even notice?! I'm sure my yelps and screams of terror and disgust would have radiated a solid two blocks, at least!! UGH! And hilarious! I say, Mom of the Year does indeed go to you, for not completely freaking out!! :)