Monday, November 3, 2008

What is heaven like?

We have this book called "What is heaven like." It's about a little boy who's grandfather just died. He goes about his day asking his sister, the dentist, the librarian, his teacher, etc. if heaven would have this or that. It's a very cute story and the kids love listening to it. 
Tonight it brought up a very deep sadness that creeps up from time to time within me. My grandfather passed away 7 years ago right around this time. It was a quick battle with cancer, that left us sleeping by his feet when he passed one night. He was such a fun man and I miss him dearly. I especially miss him when I see my grandma with my kids. He would have had so much fun with them. He loved to roll around on the floor with my brother and I. He loved reading us books and playing games with us. 
As we were reading tonight, Mason whispers to Avery that this book makes him sad cause he thinks about Mommy's grandpa. So sweet. That boy is always looking out for me.
Mason asked what would happen if after we were in heaven if we died. He wanted to know if life started all over again. Would we get to go back into a mommy's tummy and be born into Earth again? Oh wow... the deep thoughts of a five year old. I explained to him the best I could that there would be no dying in heaven - just good times and happy thoughts. 
It's great to know that God promises us eternal life in heaven with Him. I was thankful for that reminder tonight and to be able to share a piece of that with a 5, 3 and 2 year old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sarah! My Grandma just passed away on Friday from cancer. I haven't even told Taylor yet. I've been wondering what to say, plus I need to put a handle on my emotions. Hearing some of your insight has given me some thoughts on the approach. Where can I find this book? Taylor HAS had a lot of questions about Heaven lately.

MAJGrammie said...

Oh, now you made me cry! Yes, I often think how dad would have loved being a great-grandpa to your kids....he was so very proud of you and J...the wonderful, responsible adults you've became! There are so many times I miss him more than I can talk about, but I'm thankful that one day I will be able to be with him again!