Monday, November 10, 2008

Potty training made easy

So I know that my putting this in writing may back fire on me, but I can't resit the urge to tell the world how awesome my two year old has been doing with potty training. I never expected to start training this soon. In fact, my plan was to wait until Christmas break, when Allen and I would be home and our lives would be a little less chaotic. That way we could train the little man together with little interruptions. Well, for the past few months he's been wanting to wear big boy underwear. He also has shown the signs of telling us when he has gone and gagging at his own poop. 
One day I thought, what the heck? Let's try it. It was last Monday and I put him in underwear. The day went horrible. I set my timer for every 20 minutes and he never made it to the potty. I adjusted my timer to 10 minutes and he never made it to the potty. In fact, he would sit there every 10 minutes and nothing would happen. Then at minute 14 he would pee on the floor! 
By the end of the day I had used every towel in our home and every underwear this kid had and no success. 
Tuesday rolled around and it bible study, so we were training only 1/2 day today. I thought to myself that I would try again after naptime. One success! Yippee! 
Wednesday was another home day and he did great again. By lunch time he was telling me he had to go. This was amazing. Both of the other kids NEVER told me they had to go until they were closer to 3. I went to bed proud and happy for my little guy! 
Thursday he was with a friend of mine because I had work meetings to deal with. I put him in a pull-up and was doubtful he would have success being with a new potty. But he did! He stayed dry all day and told her every time he had to go! 
Wonderful. We are now a week into training and that little guy can pee standing up and when he sits, he doesn't even use the potty seat anymore. Today we went to Target with underwear! I brought along all my out and about "potty training" supplies. A backpack of changes of clothes and a large beach towel to sop up any pee that might occur from the Target cart. I didn't need any of it. Of course, we were in the toy aisle when he grabs his private region and says he had to go. All four of us and the Target cart ran to the other end of the store to make it to the potty in time! WE MADE IT! 
This new transition is so exciting to me. No more diapers for our family. WOW... I haven't been able to say that for 6 years. I may take this extra money and get a massage! A small reward for potty training three kids.... in my opinion! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and...shut up! =/

Kim said...

So moral of the story is wait until they are ready, whenever or however early or late that may be. Please remind me of that when Gavin is older. Go JACK!

MAJGrammie said...

Hey, not only a massage...you will probably be able to get a facial & body wrap, too! Congrats to you (a great mom) and sweet Jack (a big boy underwear kid). Love grammie

Sarah said...

Yay!
And I find it particularly hilarious and ironic, given the next post. I hope you had your potty training bag!

And I can only pray ours goes even half as smoothly ... yes, diapers for 6 years. For us it will be ... ? I don't know. I can't do that much math.

At any rate, congrats!!!