Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween with the Neuenschwander kids


Halloween was interesting this year. Lots of running around and lots of people. Both of these things are not favorites for my kids... for me either! They were mostly excited to wear their costumes... but would probably have been fine getting a few pieces of candy from some friends and passing out the rest at home. I will have to remember that for next year. Our stop this year was my parent's church, Christ Church of the Valley in San Dimas. They do an annual trunk or treat. All the cars pull into the parking lot, open up their trunks and pass out candy. We got their early to beat the rush. We went down a few very unorganized aisles and came across a few dogs. WHY oh WHY would you bring your dog trick or treating? At that point we lost Jackson to Papa's arms where he was not coming down. Avery, who had already been timid to begin with, was very aggressively gripping my hand. Mason, who can't really see out of his spider man mask, is clueless about what is happening around him. I try and force Avery to say "Trick or Treat" and "thank you," like we have practiced several times prior to this social experience, but she refuses. So now, she is done. We finish the aisle we are on so the boys can fill up their candy bags and head over to the bounce houses. Here is where my kids let loose. They were no longer forced into a situation that made them uncomfortable - they were able to run around and be kids. 
I realized that sometimes I have to remember how I feel in uncomfortable situations. I hate Disneyland or Costco on crowded days. I don't like being around a lot of people I don't know. So I could relate to how Avery was feeling. Next year, we will try something more low key. After all, the huge bucket of candy that was the result of the night is just going to get thrown away by the end of the week.

No comments: